ANALYTICS SOCIAL AND SEMINAR SERIES
This year, the Analytics program hosted several socials for our students, each which included a guest lecture on a special topic. Please visit the pages below to learn more about each talk.
May 3, 2017 Build Your Own Data Collection IoT Devices – Ulrich Norbisrath, George Mason University and FH Upper Austria
April 28, 2017 Big Data Analytics Using Public Clouds – Krishnan S.P.T., REAN Cloud LLC
March 15, 2017 Stories That Trump Machine Learning – Jeff Chen, U.S. Department of Commerce
March 1, 2017 Climate Informatics: Recent Advances and Challenge Problems for Machine Learning in Climate Science – Claire Monteleoni, George Washington University
December 16, 2016 How NYC is Using Analytics to Keep New Yorkers Safe – Amen Ra Mashariki, Chief Analytics Officer for New York City and the Director of the Mayor’s Office of Data Analytics (MODA)
On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 the Analytics program hosted a live, online webinar that started at 7:00 PM EST and lasted one hour. The presentation materials for this webinar session are now available - Please click here for a PDF file.
On Friday, November 18, 2016 the Analytics program hosted a live, online webinar that started at 7:00 PM EST and lasted one hour. The presentation materials for this webinar session are now available - please click here for a PDF file.
Analytics Students Win
2016 Deloitte Foundation Research Fellowship
Qinkai Ge, Weiye Deng, and Yu Yu have won a 2016 Deloitte Foundation Research Fellowship to fund their project “Recognition of Distance Learning Patterns in Georgetown University through Data Analytics”. Their project, one of four proposals selected for an award, uses advanced data analysis methods to address student engagement and success in MOOCs. In particular, the work will determine whether or not course designs successfully engage students, which aspects of student background predict course success, and whether or not current delivery modes successfully build skills demanded in emerging job markets. The study will analyze data from GeorgetownX (Georgetown University’s suite of edX offerings).
More information on the fellowship awards is available at:
News about data science in the Washington, DC area and elsewhere
- Washington DC Data Analytics Meetups
- White House appoints Chief Data Officer
- What Capital One Bank wants in a Senior Data Scientist (Washington Post)
- The Economist Insights - Big data evolution (Full Report)
Links of interest
- Center for Applied Scientific Computing at Lawrence Livermore National Lab
- Institute for Scientific Computing Research at Lawrence Livermore National Lab
- Big Data Salaries: An Inside Look
- Data Science DC
- Data.gov - The home of the U.S. government's Open Data
- Search for data scientists jobs in the Washington, DC area
- The Massive Data Institute at Georgetown University's McCourt School of Public Policy
- Georgetown University's Innovation Center for Biomedical Informatics